Looking for ways to reduce your carbon footprint?
Sincce you are reading this, you probably already know that you have an impact on our environment. You probably know that it’s good to have a hybrid or electric car, to take the bus and carpool or not to throw garbage out anywhere, like on the ground, outside, in nature.
But did you know that even our small and simple daily actions can have a huge impact on the health of our planet?
In this article, you will discover small, simple, easy and effective ways to reduce your carbon footprint.
Way to reduce your carbon footprint at home
From getting up in the morning until you go to bed, many of your habits increase your ecological footprint and have an impact on the environment. Fortunately, these small daily actions are so simple, that very little effort is required to change them!
It’s just about changing your habits to make them eco-friendly.
So here are some examples of ways to reduce your carbon footprint at home:
- Save water: Don’t leave the faucet running while you brush your teeth or wash your hands and take shorter showers.
- Wake up using as little light as possible and do the same at night. It will save energy and may even help you sleep better!
- Turn off lights when leaving a room.
- Place a recycling bin somewhere near the kitchen to think about recycling.
- Get a compost bin, so you can throw your organic waste in it instead of in the trash.
- Lower your heating at night and when you leave. Even a small decrease of 3 degrees Celsius can have an impact.
- Wash your clothes in cold water instead of hot water as often as possible.
Ways to reduce your carbon footprint when shopping
Changing our shopping and consuming habits can be difficult. Today, almost everything we use is purchased. It therefore becomes very important to ask questions about our choices of products and services when we want to implement ecological actions in our way of life.
Changing your shopping habits is a very effective way to reduce your carbon footprint.
If you have a budget for greener accessories, you can invest in the following products to reduce your daily ecological footprint:
- Reusable water bottle and coffee cup
- Stainless steel, bamboo or glass straw
- Reusable coffee filter
- Durable sanitary pads for women
- Silicone Reusable Baking Mat
- Fabric bags for your shopping
- Reusable containers
- Refillable pens
- Food wrap (instead of plastic wrap) and reusable food storage bags
- Reusable paper towels
Of course, you don’t have to run to the store to buy everything! You can start with simple decisions, such as choosing sustainable cosmetics, cleaning and maintenance products. You can also decide to no longer buy single-use products!
It can also be wise to choose local products when possible, both for your daily purchases and for your groceries. Recently, most local products are featured in grocery stores and it is very easy to spot them. There are also numerous websites promoting Canadian businesses online.
Ways to reduce your carbon footprint when out and about
When you go to work, to the cinema or to the restaurant, it is always possible to take easy actions for the health of our environment.
If you do a lot of outings and travels, here are some things you can do:
- Carpool or use public transport.
- Bring a reusable container to the restaurant if you plan to order take-out food.
- Bring your reusable coffee mug if needed.
- Refuse plastic bags when shopping.
- Carry your water bottle.
- Choose local restaurants and entertainment businesses that promote local products.
That was our 23 easy ways to reduce your carbon footprint. Those are simple, but can make a big change.
If you feel overwhelmed by all this, start with one simple habit in your daily life! When the new habit is established, add another one.
Do you know that it is possible to become carbon neutral easily and painlessly? Learn more here.